The Mosasaurus is a minor anti-villain antagonist in the 2015 sci-fi adventure film Jurassic World and its 2018 sequel Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom.
She is an individual Mosasaurus who is truly an eating machine with an endless hunger and can't have enough to eat to be satisfied. The Jurassic World employees only fed her during showtime, indicating they toyed with her appetite just for tourists to enjoy the show. The Mosasaurus has become ever alert for any fleshy living being to be unfortunate enough to fall into her water domains. When the island was abandoned, her hunger got worse to the point where she would eat anything that moved.
- 1 History
- 1.1 Background
- 1.2 Jurassic World and Season 1 of Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous
- 1.3 Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom and Season 4 of Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous
- 1.4 Battle at Big Rock
- 1.5 Jurassic World: Dominion
- 2 Powers and Abilities
- 2.1 Powers
- 2.2 Abilities
- 3 Appearance
- 4 Personality
- 5 Trivia
- 6 Navigation
The Mosasaurus was created by InGen under the wing of the Masrani Global Corporation for their new dinosaur park Jurassic World and lived in a 3 million gallon pool of water located near Main Street known as the Jurassic World Lagoon. There, visitors could watch her feed on sharks during the Mosasaurus Feeding Show. Visitors could also view her through an aquarium below the lagoon known as the Underwater Observatory to see the Mosasaurus.
Jurassic World and Season 1 of Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous
The Mosasaurus was first seen emerging from her lagoon, licking the roof of her mouth with her large tongue before catching a 9-foot great white shark on a large fishing line, and the audience, including Zach and Gray Mitchell, cheers. Then, the audience then gets an underwater tour of the Mosasaurus consuming the shark.
Following the escape of the Jurassic World Aviary's pterosaurs from their enclosure, Jurassic World employee Zara Young was dropped into the Mosasaurus's tank after being grabbed by a Pteranodon. The Mosasaurus stalked Zara as the Pteranodon flew over the enclosure to recapture her, then shot out of the water, catching both of them in her mouth. The Mosasaurus tasted Zara on her tongue and then closed her jaws on the Pteranodon. The marine reptile proceeded to devour Zara whole as she was in between the second row of teeth and went back underwater to digest her first human meal.
Afterwords, the same Mosasaurus circling around Darius Bowman and his group, Brooklynn, Kenji, Ben, Sammy and Yaz. The sea monster chased Darius and Sammy, while Yasmina distracts it, allowing them to escape. She grabs a mechanical chain to get to the land which is controlled by Kenji. As Yasmina makes it she breaks her ankle and drops the datapad in the water by accident. Later, at the end of the battle between the Indominus rex, the park's Tyrannosaurus Rexy and Blue, the Mosasaurus arose from the Lagoon to catch the hybrid in her jaws, and dragged her to the bottom of the lagoon to consume her as her midnight dinner, thus devouring her and saving the park in the process.
After the island is abandoned, the Mosasaurus is left in her lagoon never to be fed as her starvation becomes stronger.
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom and Season 4 of Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous
Although the Mosasaurus was supposed to be dead, it was revealed that she has survived the months it has spent on Isla Nublar. While men in a submarine retrieved a sample of the skeleton of the deceased Indominus rex, the hungry Mosasaurus swallowed the craft whole as it departed. Then, she leaps from the water at an escaping helicopter and eats Jack, a mercenary. However, the lagoon doors are blocked and the Mosasaurus escaped into the open ocean.
Mosasaurus appeared only in the 1st episode of Season 4 of Camp Cretaceous. When Darius and the group are leaving the island, Mosasaurus is first seen ate white shark again, before chasing them on Mitch and Tiff's boat, and then lunged in a surprise attack, causing Yaz to attack with a kayak, but the Mosasaurus roared in the rage, bumped the boat, and then destroyed the boat, causing to sink to the ocean. Later on, the Mosasaurus appeared in Yaz's nightmare, breaking the iceberg.
The Mosasaurus only reappears at the end of the film, free in the ocean at last. She can be seen in the waves, stalking some surfers and licking the roof of her mouth with her tongue, hungrier than ever. One surfer wipes out and she advances forward through the waves as her jaws open. It is most likely she succeeded in devouring the surfer.
Battle at Big Rock
The Mosasaurus dosen't appeared in the short, but she appeared in the end credits, as a cameo. She can be seen ate great white with seal in it's mouth.
Jurassic World: Dominion
By 2022, the Department of Prehistoric Wildlife has confirmed sightings of the Mosasaurus somewhere in the Pacific Ocean, near San Francisco, in Seattle, in the corals of Hawaii, Okinawa, Japan, Lathryn's Hook, Alaska and Auckland, New Zealand where it teamed up with a pod of orcas to target great white sharks. As such, it could be suggested that the mosasaur may enjoy the company of cetaceans, as it was willing to work with them to hunt the same prey rather than kill and eat the orcas.
The Mosasaurus currently follows it main prey, the great white shark across their migration routes. In at the start of the film, the Mosasaurus is seen attacking a crab fishing boat in order to steal the crabs out of the baited traps, causing the boat to turn over, and the Mosasaurus either ate or injured the crew. Like the previous film, Mosasaurus reappears at the end of the film, was seen peacefully mingling with a pod of humpback whales.
Powers and Abilities
- Mosasaurus Physiology: The Mosasaurus possesses incredible feats of strength, speed, agility, stealth, echolocation, senses and intelligence, even for a Mosasaurus as she is possibly more powerful than any other mosasaurs.
- Aquatic Nature: Though technically a marine reptile, the Mosasaurus has an aquatic lifestyle like many mosasaurs. Although she lives her life in the water as she is able to stay underwater for long periods of time, she still needs to breathe air and has to surface periodically in order to breathe. The Mosasaurus is also capable of swimming by undulating her tail similar to modern alligators, crocodiles, other mosasaurs and sharks.
- Enhanced Strength: Due to her ginormous size, the Mosasaurus is far stronger than other mosasaurs and most other dinosaurs; for example, she was strong enough to drag the Indominus rex into the depths of the Jurassic World Lagoon where she proceeded to devour the hybrid. She also has a particularly strong and powerful bite force of 33,000 pounds which she uses to bite down and kill her prey such as a Pteranodon and the Indominus rex.
- Enhanced Speed: The Mosasaurus is much faster than other mosasaurs and most other dinosaurs; for example, she can swim as fast as a whale about 30 mph in the water.
- Enhanced Agility: Like all modern land based predators such as lions and cheetahs, the Mosasaurus is quick and agile enough to take a deep breath for some sea animals to swim by and close enough to get sustained bursts of speed and agility to use quick acceleration to catch her prey.
- Enhanced Senses: The Mosasaurus has senses that are far more greatly developed than other mosasaurs and most other dinosaurs; for example, she is able to pick up the scent of any prey that is above or below the water, particularly a shark, a Pteranodon and the Indominus rex.
- Enhanced Intelligence: The Mosasaurus is far more intelligent than other mosasaurs and most other dinosaurs; for example, she was intelligent enough to know how to survive in the ocean after escaping from her enclosure.
- Stealth: The Mosasaurus possesses brilliant stealth than other mosasaurs and most other dinosaurs; for example, she was able to wait until a Pteranodon was low enough over the lagoon or until the railing had been knocked away and the Indominus rex was within reach.
- Echolocation: Like killer whales, the Mosasaurus has the ability to locate dinner and catch other animals in order to eat and survive including great white sharks, turtles, fish, plesiosaurs, and other small mosasaurs are potentially on the prey menu. She was able to use pressure wave sonar to detect by using keen sense of smell like modern day Komodo dragons.
- Expert Tracker: Due to Mosy's senses of smell, she can find, spot or track things, including fish such as sharks and other prey in the water.
This Mosasaurus is a gigantic Mosasaurus who is much bigger than her extinct counterpart. She has flippers, a prehensile tail, a huge head with crocodile-like jaws lined with sharp teeth and in the roof of her mouth, spikes running down her back and a thick, heavy, average shaped tongue.
The Mosasaurus is a very large powerful aquatic predator who is at least as powerful as Rexy. Though judging by the body, her main attack is similar to Rexy such as her head and powerful jaws that they can both take down many prey that was proven by Indominus rex.
Sometimes, the Mosasaurus is known to swim up oceans and will hunt any kind of target that fits in her prey spectrum. Her color is ideal for her hunting strategy: she hunts from below and uses the element of surprise. the Mosasaurus could even leap out of the water to catch a falling target in her jaws and quickly devour it. Like Rexy, the Mosasaurus is also an animal who relies solely on her predatory instincts to survive.
- Some fans have nicknamed the Mosasaurus "Shygal" because she was described as "shy" by Sarah, the feeding show announcer, others have chosen "Mosy".
- An alternate opening for Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom shows the concept art depicting the Mosasaurus after she escaped from her lagoon. She would have been hunting a pod of whales that was also being targeted by a whaling ship. the Mosasaurus would first snatch a harpooned whale, dragging the ship with it, then would have attacked and sunk the whaler. However, it was cut because it was very dark that the Mosasaurus would have destroyed an entire ship and killed many people.
- Like Rexy and Blue, the Mosasaurus is also the last of her kind.
Rexy(film series) |Spinosaurus |Pterosaurs |Mosasaurus |Giganotosaurus |Giant locusts
ILM purposely made the Mosasaur in Jurassic World larger than its real life counterpart to make it look big enough for the final fight with Indominus rex at the end of the film.
The movie "Jurassic World" (2015) features an iconic shot of a giant Mosasaurus rocketing out of the water to snatch a dangling shark.
People always say it's 20.4 meters, but in reality it's around 18 meters and weigh 50, not 100 tons. But according to a new study, it was smaller. So It was around 14.2-15.3 meters long, and possibly weighing 30 tons. Mosasaurus was longer than Megalodon so yeah.
Of course, Jurassic World isn't meant to be realistic – it's sci-fi. "The paleontology is as real as it could possibly be, but obviously with a few asterisks," director Colin Trevorrow tells WIRED.
While a similar length, the Megalodon had a much more robust body and huge jaws built for devouring whales and other large marine mammals. A Mosasaurus would not have been able to get its jaws around the much thicker body of the Megalodon. It would just take one catastrophic bite for the Megalodon to end the battle.
Its diet included turtles, large fish, other mosasaurs, and it may even have been a cannibal. It also attacked anything that entered the water; even a giant dinosaur such as T. rex would be no match for it.
The Indoraptor is rather a dinosaur villain, and is far more dangerous then Eli Mills (the other main antagonist of the film). However, the former is also much less ambitious, as he's just a brutal dinosaur. The Indoraptor is far more powerful and deadly than the Indominus rex, and he has much more screentime.
The megalodon would struggle, using its body weight to try and escape the Kraken. But the kraken is too strong, and its grip would be unshakeable as its suction cups cling onto the megalodon. The megalodon could bite into one of the kraken's tentacles, tearing it apart.
Despite this, the mosasaurus had a faster top speed compared to the spinosaurus. For example, the spinosaurus reached 10 to 15 mph, while the mosasaurus frequently reached 20 to 30 mph. So, if a fight did indeed happen in the water, the mosasaurus would have the advantage over the spinosaurus, hands down.
Dinosaur still no match for prehistoric "megatooth" sharks. Once the largest known carnivore on land, Tyrannosaurus rex also had the most powerful bite of any terrestrial animal of any time period, a new study suggests.
Fossils, it's explained partally during the Gyrosphere line scene, where Gray says " they can get DNA from fossils, so if the Amber mines dry up..." While the Mosasaurus isn't mentioned, that is most likely where they got the DNA (the Masrani Global website also partially explains this).
This is the best Mosasaur toy i have ever seen, and one of the coolest creatures to ever grace the Jurassic toys. But disclaimer it is NOT intended for water use. This toy is big and to scale of what a typical Mosasaur would grow in comparison to the rest of the Mattel line.
Megalodon would win a fight against Titanoboa. The monster snake is a one-trick pony, and that trick isn't any good against a massive shark. Even if it managed to wrap about the shark, it's much too small to kill it. Megalodon was about 9 feet across and weighed 100,000lbs.
Scientists think that up to a third of all large marine animals, including 43% of turtles and 35% of sea birds, became extinct as temperatures cooled and the number of organisms at the base of the food chain plummeted, resulting in a knock-on effect to the predators at the top.
What If Megalodon and T-Rex Met One-on-One - YouTube
The Mosasaurus then appears in the climax of Jurassic World. When the Tyrannosaurus and Velociraptor push the Indominus Rex to the lagoon, the Mosasaurus jumps out and grabs the Indominus Rex and drags it under water, killing it.
The Mosasaur Size Chart says that Mosasaurus is the largest mosasaur (like how I think), and compared to the T-Rex size, Mosasaurus is definitely bigger than both I-Rex and T-Rex.
The latest fossil discovery from China has turned up a dinosaur believed to be the earliest ancestor of T. rex. The ancestor is no more than 10 feet long and sports a large crest on top of its head, leading its discoverers to call it Guanlong, meaning "crowned dragon."
One of the main villains of the Jurassic Park franchise, the Indoraptor is one of the most powerful dinosaurs in the series thanks to its hybrid DNA.
17 Weakest: Gallimimus Were Herbivore Grazers Who Traveled In Herds. A relative background dinosaur, Gallimimus got their moment in the sun way back in the original Jurassic Park.
Spinosaurus is the longest known terrestrial carnivore; other large carnivores comparable to Spinosaurus include theropods such as Tyrannosaurus, Giganotosaurus and Carcharodontosaurus.
Unlike most previous incarnations; this version of Rexy is portrayed as a protagonist/anti-hero, instead of as an antagonist.
However, this scene, and the white Indoraptor altogether, was scrapped for unknown reasons. It was later confirmed by Colin Trevorrow that there will be no hybrids in Jurassic World: Dominion.
Beta is a juvenile Velociraptor and the offspring of Blue, who makes her debut in Jurassic World: Dominion. Henry Wu explains that Beta was born asexually due to the monitor lizard DNA in Blue's genetic makeup.
- of 10. Hippodraco. Lukas Panzarin. ...
- of 10. Isisaurus. Dmitri Bogdanov. ...
- of 10. Jeyawati. Lukas Panzarin. ...
- of 10. Masiakasaurus. Lukas Panzarin. ...
- of 10. Nigersaurus. Australian Museum. ...
- of 10. Pegomastax. Pegomastax (Tyler Keillor). ...
- of 10. Suzhousaurus. Wikimedia Commons. ...
- of 10. Tianyulong. Nobu Tamura.
Tyrannosaurus rex looked the most ferocious of all the dinosaurs, but in terms of overall cunning, determination and its array of vicious weapons it was Utahraptor that was probably the fiercest of all. Utahraptor measured about 7 metres, and was a very powerful, agile and intelligent predator.
Complete Deinonychus fossils are among the rarest of all dinosaur skeletons, and Hector is the only complete specimen in private hands, according to Christie's (two others reside in museum collections).
The Giant Squid Measures Around 33 Feet
That's about the size of a school bus, but still 7,887 feet smaller than the kraken was believed to be. So where did the notion of monstrous size come from? A squid's skin tends to get rubbery in the sun, and a beached creature may have stretched to appear bigger.
A Livyatan would win a fight against a megalodon. The Livyatan has the size and speed advantage, bigger teeth, and it has the endurance to last through a long fight. Another problem for the megalodon stems from the way that megalodons attack. They prefer to dig into the stomachs of their prey.
The Kraken has withstood 1,362,332,695,984 teratons from Kronos's attacks, so while it would likely keep it away and give Godzilla a bit of breathing room, it wouldn't actually hurt the Kraken. Finally, the thermonuclear pulses.
Yet, the T-Rex had a massive neck that the Spinosaurus wasn't going to break with its bite power. The T-Rex could thrash free and clamp down on the Spinosaurus. With all that power and the 12-inch teeth, the most likely outcome is that the T-Rex kills Spinosaurus.
In Jurassic Park 3, the Spinosaurus easily defeated the T-rex by clenching its neck tightly between its jaws. While this might be possible with a smaller organism, it's unlikely that a Spinosaurus would be able to do that with a dinosaur as robust and muscular as a T-rex.
Given that the Indominus is proportionally larger, unless the Spinosaurus wasn't fully grown (it was around 45 feet, fully grown say it should be 60 feet). Maybe the Spinosaurus could give it a run for its money, but it would prevail.
Troodontids (formerly Saurornithoidids) were remarkable in having the largest brain-to-body size ratio of all non-avian dinosaurs, possibly making them the most intelligent dinosaurs on a level with the smartest birds.
Despite a jointed appearance, paleontologists now think the dinosaur must have had a stiff skull to deliver its crushing blows. The bone-shattering bite of a Tyrannosaurus rex could have crushed a car, delivering up to six tons of pressure to its hapless victims.
rex eat? T. rex was a huge carnivore and primarily ate herbivorous dinosaurs, including Edmontosaurus and Triceratops. The predator acquired its food through scavenging and hunting, grew incredibly fast and ate hundreds of pounds at a time, said University of Kansas paleontologist David Burnham.
How Scientifically Accurate is the Jurassic World MOSASAURUS?
|Average length||22 meters|
|Average weight||15 tons|
The Jurassic World Facts mobile application gives it a length of 71.8 feet long. The books The Park is Open and Jurassic World: Where Dinosaurs Come to Life, which released in May 2015, list the mosasaur's length as 72 feet (The Park is Open is more precise, at 72.2 feet).
The Mosasaur Size Chart says that Mosasaurus is the largest mosasaur (like how I think), and compared to the T-Rex size, Mosasaurus is definitely bigger than both I-Rex and T-Rex.